Friends of FANA offers a variety of activities to meet the interests of our members. All activities are organized and run by our dedicated volunteers, with professional speakers or performers where appropriate. We are always interested in new ideas for activities. Most events are in the Washington, DC area.
Colombia for Kids
- Saturday morning program for school-age children at the Colombian Ambassador’s Residence on Colombian art and culture
- Colombian Animal Treasure Hunt at the National Zoo in Washington, DC.
- A program for older children on Colombia’s political climate sponsored by the Latin American Studies Program at Georgetown University
- An Introduction to Colombia for preschool and kindergarten age children
Every year, we hold a Colombian Fiesta for families. Colombian music, food, crafts, and other activities highlight the day. Past Fiestas have had entertainment by The Latin Ballet of Richmond, The Arlington County Spanish Children’s Chorus, and the Colombian dance and singing group, El Tayrona. The day provides an opportunity for families to see old friends and share Colombian heritage with their children.
Programs for Adults
Friends of FANA’s adult activities provide adoptive parents an opportunity to learn more about Colombian culture, politics, and economics. We also offer programs on Colombian-related adoption issues when appropriate. Recent programs have included:
- A meeting with the Colombian Ambassador to the United States for a question and answer session about current affairs in Colombia
- A workshop moderated by an adoption professional on “Homeland Trips” for post-adoption families wishing to visit Colombia
Our social activities are designed to bring together families of all ages. We encourage grandparents, other relatives, and friends to participate as well. Recent social activities have included:
- Family Picnics, usually offered every other year and often in conjunction with a visit from someone from FANA in Bogotá
- Adult cocktail parties
- A Halloween party for the children
- Colombian Fiesta
The orphanages in Colombia have difficulty surviving with additional support from generous families, foundations, and corporations in the United States and elsewhere. Friends of FANA has primarily helped support FANA, the Fundacion para la Asistencia de Niñez Abandonada. Each year, we hold a fundraising campaign to support a basic need at FANA. Additionally, we occasionally hold fundraising events in the Washington, DC area to add to our other efforts.
Recent fundraisers have included an evening at the Colombian Ambassador’s residence with a silent and live auction of Colombian art, crafts, and jewelry with proceeds going to support FANA.
Get in Touch. Get Involved.
Friends of FANA
11654 Plaza America Dr
Reston, VA 20190-4700